Hookah smoking is not safer than cigarette smoking. Also known as narghile, shisha and goza, a hookah is a water pipe with a smoke chamber, a bowl, a pipe and a hose. Specially made tobacco is heated, and the smoke passes through water and is then drawn through a rubber hose to a mouthpiece. The tobacco is no less toxic in a hookah pipe, and the water in the hookah does not filter out the toxic ingredients in the tobacco smoke. Hookah smokers may actually inhale more tobacco smoke than cigarette smokers do because of the large volume of smoke they inhale in one smoking session, which can last as long as 60 minutes.
Smokers have a harder time healing from surgeries, and have more overall health issues than nonsmokers. This results in more time away from work, and more doctor and hospital visits. Smoking compromises a person's health in so many ways.
1 session of hookah = smoking 20 cigarettes
How do they make tobacco.
Hookah tobacco is often flavored with molasses, fruit pulp or honey and has had additional flavor added, such as coconut, fruit flavors, mint or coffee. Flavorings sweeten the taste and aroma of hookah tobacco, making it more appealing to young people, especially.
While research about hookah smoking is still emerging, evidence shows that it poses many dangers:
* Hookah smoke contains high levels of toxic compounds, including tar, carbon monoxide, heavy metals and cancer-causing chemicals (carcinogens). In fact, hookah smokers are exposed to more carbon monoxide and smoke than are cigarette smokers.
* As with cigarette smoking, hookah smoking is linked to lung and oral cancers, heart disease and other serious illnesses.
* Hookah smoking delivers about the same amount of nicotine as cigarette smoking does, possibly leading to tobacco dependence.
* Hookah smoke poses dangers associated with secondhand smoke.
* Hookah smoking by pregnant women can result in low birth... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 07). Is Hookah Smoking Safer Than Smoking Cigarettes. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 07, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Is-Hookah-Smoking-Safer-Than-Smoking-1048522.html
"Is Hookah Smoking Safer Than Smoking Cigarettes" StudyMode.com. 07 2012. 2012. 07 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Is-Hookah-Smoking-Safer-Than-Smoking-1048522.html>.
- MLA 7
"Is Hookah Smoking Safer Than Smoking Cigarettes." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 07 2012. Web. 07 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Is-Hookah-Smoking-Safer-Than-Smoking-1048522.html>.
"Is Hookah Smoking Safer Than Smoking Cigarettes." StudyMode.com. 07, 2012. Accessed 07, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Is-Hookah-Smoking-Safer-Than-Smoking-1048522.html.