At the end of the session, the students must be able to
1. prepare the different kinds of mixtures;
2. describe each kind of mixture;
3. explain one’s response to a given statement regarding the three kinds of mixtures. 4. appreciate the importance of intellectual honesty in the conduct of the experiment.
II. Subject Matter:
A. Topic: Kinds of Mixtures
B. Competency: Demonstrate simple techniques in the
preparation, separation & purification of mixture. C. References:
* Regional Prototype Lesson Plan in Chemistry pp.58-61
* Chemistry textbook pp. 39-40
by Amelia P. Mapa et.al.
* Digital Light Processing (DLP) projector
* Writing pens
* Multi-purpose charts
* Task cards
* 6 glasses
* boiled water
* tap water
III. Procedure/Developmental Activities:
1. Opening Prayer
2. Checking of Attendance
3. Review (MATTER)
(Whole Class Activity Using the Mighty Egg Strategy)
* Rearrange the scrambled letters to form the magic words using the given clue/s that describe/s it. 4. Motivation (The Mixture Story)
Whole Class Activity Using the Mighty Egg Strategy
* The teacher presents a background about the three kinds of mixtures in a form of a short story. * Call students to answer the questions
5. Reading of the Objectives
B. LESSON PROPER
* Grouping of Students
* Preparation and Distribution of Materials
2. Laboratory Proper
ACTIVITY 1 (MIXTERRIFIC)
* Refer to the Attached activity sheet for the procedure
3. Posting of Outputs
4. Reporting of Outputs
5. Discussion/Concept Formation
ACTIVITY 2 (FACES HERE, FACES THERE, FACES EVERYWHERE)
The teacher reads a statement for the students to analyze and discuss among themselves. * Using the smiley and sad faces prepared by the students, the teacher instructs the students to raise the smiley face if they agree with the statement given and raise the sad face if they disagree. * The teacher then picks from the mystery containers the group number and the specific student who will give the reason why they raised the said face.
6. Processing of Answers
* What are the three kinds of mixtures?
(The teacher calls students to state the three kinds of mixture and describe each.) 8. Application/ Valuing
How is this knowledge on properties of mixture useful in your life? In the environment?
Multiple choice. Choose the best answer.
1. Sunlight passing through a window is scattered by dust particles. What kind of mixture is dust in air? a. Solutionb. colloidc. suspensiond. substance
2. It contains particles bigger than those of solution but smaller than those of suspension. Which terms describe this mixture? (same choices as in 1)
3. Some cough syrup needs to be shaken before use. What kind of mixture is cough syrup? a. Solutionb. suspensionc. colloidd. homogeneous
4. What makes it very impossible to filter particles of solution? a. Particles are very small b. the system is homogeneous c.The appearance is cleard. boiling point is varying
5. Which observation explains Tyndall effect?
a. changes of color when mixing two substances
b. dust particle in dark room become visible when struck by light
c. formation of precipitate
d. physical appearance is clear
6. The particles of suspension are invisible to our naked eye. a. always true b. definitely not true
c. sometimes trued. cannot decide
7.Which statement about colloids is NOT true?
a. Colloids contain particles bigger...