Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide
In this experiment, the rate of reaction, calculated in kPa sec-1, of the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide will be investigated to see how the change in concentration of hydrogen peroxide and the change in temperature affect the rate of reaction. The data will be collected by measuring the gas pressure. The product of Hydrogen Peroxide is oxygen in a gas state thus it is mandatory to use the gas pressure sensor. By calculating the difference of the gas pressure divided by the amount of time from the raw data collection it is able to find the rate of reaction of the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide.
* Control Variable- 1mL of yeast (catalyst) is being used in every trial. The volume of H2O2 is always 4 mL, even though the concentration changes and the sizes and type of test tube was the same because it can change the pressure.
* Independent Variable- Concentration of H2O2 (M) and the temperature (°C)
* Dependent Variable- The rate of reaction of the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide → rate of reaction = ∆ Pressure (kPa)Time (sec) .
* Research Question- it is needed to calculate the rate of reaction (kPa sec-1) of the decomposition of H2O2 to understand how different factors such as the change in concentration and the change in temperature of H2O2 affect the rate of reaction.
Materials and Method-
* 0.5 M Yeast solution (the catalyst) - 15 mL
* 45 mL of 3 % H2O2 solution
* A thermometer
* A computer with LoggerPro Program.
* A Vernier computer interface
* A Vernier Gas Pressure Sensor
* A 1 liter beaker
* A match to light up the bunsen burner
* A tripod
* Two 10 mL test tubes
* Two 10 mL pipette
* Distilled water - 15 mL
* A matt/cover that is fire resistant
* 700 mL of room temperature water from a sink
* A one-hole rubber... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 10). Investigating Factors That Affect the Rate of Reaction of the Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Investigating-Factors-That-Affect-The-Rate-1169675.html
"Investigating Factors That Affect the Rate of Reaction of the Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide" StudyMode.com. 10 2012. 2012. 10 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Investigating-Factors-That-Affect-The-Rate-1169675.html>.
- MLA 7
"Investigating Factors That Affect the Rate of Reaction of the Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 10 2012. Web. 10 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Investigating-Factors-That-Affect-The-Rate-1169675.html>.
"Investigating Factors That Affect the Rate of Reaction of the Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide." StudyMode.com. 10, 2012. Accessed 10, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Investigating-Factors-That-Affect-The-Rate-1169675.html.