THEO 104: Introduction to Christian Thought
Week 1: Introduction to Theology
Towns: Introduction & Ch. 1
1. What year was Jesus born? 4BC in Bethleham, South Palestine to an unknown family 2. When was Christianity made Rome’s National Religion? 313 AD 3. What is the Incarnation? God becoming man and taking on flesh 4. Does the Bible states that Jesus was the creator of the world. Yes (John 1:3; Col. 1:16) 5. Did Jesus claim to have supernatural origins. Yes (John 16:28, 17:5) 6. Who Baptized Jesus? John the Baptist
7. Did Jesus allow people to worship him? Yes (Matt. 8:2, 14:33; Mark 5:6)
Etzel & Gutierrez: Introduction & Chs. 1-5
1. Why does the author say that everyone is a theologian? Everyone has an opinion about religion 2. What areas of our lives are influenced by the way we see God? 3. How did Jesus show that he is worthy of our faith?
4. Do Christians need to ignore intellect and reason in order to have faith in Jesus? No 5. What does Jesus teach about truth?
“Understanding the Faith”
1. How did the term “Christian” originate? A derogatory attack against the Disciple in Antioch (Acts 11:26) 2. Who was this book written for? For those who know something, and for those who want to know more about Christianity. 3. Why do some have mistaken ideas about Christianity? Media bias, televangelist, poor examples of Christians
“Prolegomena to Theology” - Pg. 18-24
1. What are the four tools for accurately arranging a systematic theology? History, revelation, faith, language 2. What four questions must we ask about faith? Is it harmonious, objective, symbolic, and available. 3. What 5 factors can limit our theology? Blindness, understanding, language, silence, ignorance, science
"The Names of Christ" – Pg. 160-173
1. What chapter of the New Testament does the Author suggest contains the most names of Jesus? First chaper of John 2. Which of God’s names do some scholars think that Jesus is claiming with his “I am statements”? Jehovah 3. What is the tern “only begotten” used to describe about Jesus? His unique relationship with the Father 4. Why does the author think that the Gospel of John calls Jesus the “word”? stated over 1200 times in the old testament the “Word” is used asa revelation or message from God 5. What would Jews think who heard Christ calling Himself the “Son of Man”? Messiah
"The Deity of Christ" - Pg. 155-160
1. T/F Jesus Christ is the second member of the trinity, is equal with the father in nature and yet submissive in duty. T 2. T/F Christ was a single and undivided personality. T
3. T/F Jesus claimed to be one with the father. T
4. T/F Jesus claimed to have the ability to forgive sins. T 5. T/F Jesus allowed people to worship him. T
6. T/F Jesus claimed to have omnipresence, omniscience and omnipotence. T 7. What does the term “preexistence” mean? Existing prior His physical birth (John 8:58) 8. What does the term “eternality” mean when referring to Christ? He has neither beginning nor an end 9. The fact that Christ allowed people to worship him shows that He thought that he was divine. T
Week 2: The Bible
Towns: Ch. 2
1. What does dual authorship mean? God and man wrote simultaneously 2. What was the Old Testament written on? Vellum or parchment 3. What are the three divisions of the Old Testament? Moses, Prophets, Psalms 4. What did the Psalms scroll contain? Psalms, historical books, and minor prophets 5. What is a codex? The title given to scriptures that have bound into one single volume (a book) 6. Where does the name “Bible” come from? The latin word “ta biblia” meaning “the book” 7. Where does the term “Scripture” come from? The latin word “scriptus” meaning to produce writing 8. *What are three ways the Bible can...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document