1.1 Origin of the Report
Internship program is a prerequisite for EMBA program. Before completion of the degree, a student must undergo the internship program. Internship program is a perfect blend of the theoretical and practical knowledge. As the classroom discussion alone cannot make a student perfect in handling the real business situation, therefore it is an opportunity for the students to know about real life situation through this program. This program consists of three phases:
I. Organization orientation to acquaint at the intern's as with structure, function and performance of the organization. II. The project work pertaining to a particular problem or problems matching with the intern's area of specification and organization's requirement and III. The report writing to summarize the intern’s analysis, findings and achievements in proceeding two phases.
The report on "Credit Appraisal System and Credit Management of Prime Bank Ltd." is prepared by Mohammad Mahmud Hasan individually under the supervision and guidance of Dr. Anisur Rahman, Professor, Department of Marketing, University of Dhaka and Mr. Md. Golam Rabbani, Senior Vice President and Head of Credit Monitoring & Recovery Unit, Head Office, Prime Bank Ltd. to meet the requirement of the internship program of EMBA.
Part A: Organization Part
▪ Exploring various features of Prime Bank Limited (PBL)
▪ Analysing the performance of PBL
Part B: Project Part
▪ Finding out the credit appraisal and credit management system, practiced by PBL ▪ Analysing and comparing the credit appraisal and management of PBL with that of standard 1.3Scope of the Report
The study would focus on the following areas:
▪ Credit appraisal system of PBL &
▪ Portfolio (of loans or advances) management of PBL
Each of the above areas would be critically analyzed in order to determine the efficiency of PBL’s credit appraisal and management system.
1.4 Sources of Information
Information collected to furnish this report is both from primary and secondary sources. The primary sources are:
▪ Practical desk work
▪ Face to face conversation with the officers
▪ Face to face conversation with the clients
▪ Relevant file study as provided by the concerned officer
The secondary sources are:
▪ Different Circulars issued by the Head Office and Bangladesh Bank ▪ Different ‘Procedure Manual’, published by PBL
▪ Annual Reports (1999, 2000, 2001, 20002 and 2003) of PBL ▪ Publications obtained from different libraries and from internet
The study requires a systematic procedure from selection of the topic to final report preparation. To perform the study data sources are to be identified and collected, they are to be classified, analyzed, interpreted and presented in a systematic manner and key points are to be found out. This overall process of methodology is given in the following page in the form of flowchart that has been followed in the study.
Figure 1: Flow chart of methodology
A. Selection of the topic: The topic selected for the study was assigned by the Prime Bank official. Before assigning the job it was discussed with me so that I can prepare a well-organized internship report. B. Identifying data sources: Essential data sources both primary and secondary are identified which will be needed to complete and workout the study. To meet up the need of data primary data are used and the study also requires interviewing the officials and staffs where necessary. C. Collection of data: Primary data are collected through 100% physical inspection as there is no provision and scope for using sampling technique. Questionnaire preparation is also required to collect the data. D. Classification, analysis, interpretation and presentation of data: To classify, analyze, interpret and...