Internalizing and Externalizing
Internalized Behavior Disorder
• Internalizing Disorders are conditions that generally result in a sense of emotional despair and social isolation.
• It is over controlled behaviors that are considered inner-directed. Often resulting in negative cognitions towards self and negative self related behaviors.
• Behavioral Characteristics associated with internal behaviors are social withdrawal, poor self esteem, impaired academic progress, and suicidal ideation and behaviors
• The student may often exhibit signs of depression, anxiety, and somatic problems
Externalized Behavior Disorder
• External disorders are related to acting-out or disruptive behaviors.
• Symptoms are associated with under controlled behaviors which often results in excessive deviant behavior such as aggressiveness and impulsivity
• External Disorders include conduct disorder, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, drug abuse, and various other manifestations of antisocial-aggressive behavior.
• The student may often exhibit aggressiveness and impulsive behaviors
Distinguishing Internalized Disorders
It sometimes difficult to distinguish clearly between internalizing and externalizing disorders because of the commonalities of the symptoms and they often coexist.
In public education children with serious emotional disturbances (SED )are eligible to receive special support services. The federal definition of SED encompasses internalizing problems because it includes students who have a pervasive depressed mood or who are withdrawn from peers. Although, the SED definition addresses internalizing problems, the children with internalizing disorders often do not receive special education programming. Unlike externalized disorders, they are not identified because often the disorder doesn’t effect academic performance as a result of disruptive behavior.
The Internalizing Symptoms Scale for... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 12). Internalizing Symptoms and Affect of Children with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 12, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Internalizing-Symptoms-And-Affect-Of-Children-866577.html
"Internalizing Symptoms and Affect of Children with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders" StudyMode.com. 12 2011. 2011. 12 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Internalizing-Symptoms-And-Affect-Of-Children-866577.html>.
- MLA 7
"Internalizing Symptoms and Affect of Children with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 12 2011. Web. 12 2011. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Internalizing-Symptoms-And-Affect-Of-Children-866577.html>.
"Internalizing Symptoms and Affect of Children with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders." StudyMode.com. 12, 2011. Accessed 12, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Internalizing-Symptoms-And-Affect-Of-Children-866577.html.