General purpose: Addiction to prescription drugs
Specific purpose: To inform my audience about the growing problem of prescription drug abuse, some common drugs that cause abuse, and their effects and some common treatments.
Pattern: People living in today’s society must be aware about the dangers that prescription Drugs can cause them, as well as the people around them.
* Attention : Is it possible that you or someone you love is addicted to prescription drugs? * An estimated 48 million people according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, have used prescription drugs for nonmedical reasons in their lifetime. According to
* Credibility: It was a big epidemic in my high school and surrounding schools. Ive lost relationships with people close to me due to their prescription drug addiction. * . Drug addiction is growing rapidly throughout the united states and its effecting all age ranges. * There needs to be more restrictions placed because people think because the doctor is giving it to them, it is safe to abuse them * . Today im going to discuss what types of prescription drugs are being abused, how it effects your life and health, and possible ways to overcome the spread of the addiction.
* Reason to listen:
* . Ive come to realize that unfortunately everyone knows someone who is addicted to prescription drugs. * .
* Types of prescription drugs
* The harms they cause
* Ways to overcome the spread of addiction
1 .. The three different classes of prescription drugs a. . opioids- used to treat pain-oxycodone, vicodin, roxicet b. . depressants-used to treat anxiety and sleep disorders- Xanax, Valium, Klonopin c. . stimulants- used to treat attention deficit disorders- Adderrall, ritalin 2.
.. The harms that...