Informative Speech Outline
November 15, 2012
Topic: United States Obesity Epidemic
General Purpose: To inform
Specific Purpose: To inform the listeners of the real threat that obesity can have on an individual. Central Idea: The obesity epidemic of the United States is becoming increasingly worse but through knowledge people can overcome this problem and live full and health lives.
1. Did you know that 36% of adults and 17% of children in the United States are considered obese, according to the CDC? And that Alabama is ranked 3rd nationally in the obesity ratings? 2. Obesity is a growing issue in the United States and causes many problems for people. 3. There are many contributing factors that cause obesity, many health risks, and anti-obesity efforts to help combat the obesity epidemic. 4. Many have suffered from obesity in their lives and many have overcome this problem. Body
1. Some of the contributing factors for obesity.
* We live in a “microwave society” that is always on the go and no longer has time to sit down and plan meals. * Portions have gotten significantly larger over the years. * The link between sweet sodas and fruit drinks to obesity.
2. The cost of health care for obese related illnesses.
* Type II Diabetes has become a major health issue in the states. * Has been known to increase the prevalence of complications during pregnancy and childbirth. * 100,000 to 400,000 deaths per year are said to be contributed to obesity. * Obesity cost society $117 billion in direct and indirect cost, which exceeds the health-care cost of smoking or drinking problems.
3. Anti-obesity efforts to help with the obesity epidemic. * Some school districts banned sodas, junk food, and candy from being put into vending machines. * The American Beverage Association agreed to a voluntary ban on the sale of all high-calorie drinks and all beverages in containers larger...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document