JOMO KENYATTA UNIVERSITY
Attachment report submitted in partial fulfillment of
the requirements of the degree of Bachelor
of Science in Information Technology
This report is a summary of activities covered during my attachment period. It is an overview of the activities I was involved in during the attachment period. This report also points out the strengths and weaknesses of the course and future amendments that need to be made.
I would like to thank the following for their contribution to the successful completion of my internship period. The National Hospital Insurance Fund training and ICT departments for an opportunity to work with the organization. My supervisor Mrs. Beryl Khasina for dedicating her busy schedule, valuable knowledge and personal materials while guiding and supporting me in the course of my industrial training. Finally I thank my fellow interns at the Coffee Board Of Kenya for their support all through my attachment. Thank you for your support.
Table of Contents
Objectives of the attachment8
Overview of the activities I was involved in.9
Evaluation of the attachment13
National Hospital Insurance Fund is a State Parastatal that was established in 1966 as a department under the Ministry of Health. The original Act of Parliament that set up this Fund in 1966 has over the years been reviewed to accommodate the changing healthcare needs of the Kenyan population, employment and restructuring in the health sector. Currently an NHIF Act No 9 of 1998 governs the Fund. The transformation of NHIF from a department of the Ministry of Health to a state of corporation was aimed at improving effectiveness and efficiency. The Fund's core mandate is to provide medical insurance cover to all its members and their declared dependants (spouse and children). The NHIF membership is open to all Kenyans who have attained the age of 18 years and years and have a monthly income of more than Ksh 1000. NHIF has 31 fully autonomous branches across the country. Each of these branches offers all NHIF services including payment of benefits to hospitals or members or employers. Smaller satellite offices and service points in district hospitals also serve these branches.
Customer Service Charter| |
Within this Charter, NHIF is commited to:-
1. Treating you with courtesy and respect
2. Upholding professionalism in serving you
3. Providing quality service
4. Being accessible
5. Providing accurate, relevant, timely and clear information 6. Being responsive to customer needs and expectations
7. Monitoring and evaluating customer satisfaction levels 8. Handling all customer information with utmost confidentiality 9. Upholding ethics in a corruption free environment
The Information Communication Technology department where I was attached carries out the following functions: * Network Administration
* Hardware Management
* System Programming
* System Administration
Objectives of the attachment
1. To hands on experience to the students in dealing with day to day problems in a current day I.T. environment. 2. To provide insight to students of the practical aspect of I.T. in an institutions environment. 3. To acquire skills on alternative ways of solving problems that may have not been covered in the normal course work.
Overview of the activities I was involved in.
* Management of Equipment
* Repair and maintaining of Printers
* Toner replacements
* Replacement of a faulty circuit board
* Replacement of a faulty Power supply
* Servicing of ICT Equipments
* Printer problems such as printer not printing and paper jams * PC diagnosing and...