* Inference is a conclusion or deduction madefrom evidence
* Drawing inferences means sensing relationships that are not stated but are implied by the author. These inferences may be assumptions, predictions, conclusions and generalizations. It is also choosing the most likely explanation from the facts at hand.
* Making predictions is stating something about future behavior or actions based on present or past actions or behavior.Predictions with high probability are based on facts, not on assumptions or on other people’s predictions.
Making inferences about story elements are based from the following:
* Details in the story.
* From own experiences.
* Clues from the stories.
* Clues from world events.
* When a sentence contains an unfamiliar word, it is sometimes possible to infer the general meaning of the sentence without inferring the exact meaning of the unknown word.
* To infer as we read is to go beyond literal interpretation and to open world of meaning deeply connected to our lives.
Inferring can be done through:
* QUESTIONING- work in tandem with inferring to enhance understanding of text clues.
* MAKING CONNECTIONS- readers able to think inferentially when they connect their background of information.
* BACKGROUND OF KNOWLEDGE- it is important for the reader to have background knowledge about the text they are reading if they are expected to read inferentially.
* PREDICTIONS- related to inferring/predicting outcome.
* IMAGINATION/VISUALIZATION- the reader use all his senses that is, you see things in your “mind’s eye” and hear the sounds you connect to about which you are reading.
* INTERPRETATION/JUDGEMENT- process of taking that which is stated in text and extrapolating it to one’s life to create a wholly original interpretation, which in turn, becomes part of one’s belief or knowledge.
* Conclusions are statements based... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 02). Inferencing and Drawing Conclusion. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Inferencing-And-Drawing-Conclusion-1442913.html
"Inferencing and Drawing Conclusion" StudyMode.com. 02 2013. 2013. 02 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Inferencing-And-Drawing-Conclusion-1442913.html>.
- MLA 7
"Inferencing and Drawing Conclusion." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 02 2013. Web. 02 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Inferencing-And-Drawing-Conclusion-1442913.html>.
"Inferencing and Drawing Conclusion." StudyMode.com. 02, 2013. Accessed 02, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Inferencing-And-Drawing-Conclusion-1442913.html.