As per Section 2(j) of Industrial Disputes Act,1947 “Industry” means any systematic activity carried on by co-operation between an employer and his workmen(whether such workmen are employed by such employer directly or by or through any agency, including a contractor) for the production ,supply or distribution of goods or services with a view to satisfy human wants or wishes (not being wants or wishes which are merely spiritual or religious in nature), whether or not,-
(i) any capital has been invested for the purpose of carrying on such activity; or
(ii) such activity is carried on with a motive to make any gain or profit, and includes-
(a) any activity of the Dock Labour Board established under section 5-A of the Dock Workers ( Regulation of Employment)Act,1948( 9 of 1948);
(b) any activity relating to the promotion of sales or business or both carried on by an establishment,
but does not include-
1) any agricultural operation except where such agricultural operation is carried on in an integrated manner with any other activity (being any such activity as is referred to in the foregoing provisions of this clause) and such other activity is the predominant one.
Explanation:- For the purposes of this sub-clause ,” agricultural operation” does not include any activity carried on in a plantation as defined in clause (f) of section 2 of the Plantation Labour Act,1951; or
2) hospitals or dispensaries; or
3) educational, scientific, research to training institutions ; or
4) institutions owned or managed by organizations wholly or substantially engaged in any charitable ,social or philanthropic service; or
5) khadi or village industries ; or
6) any activity of the Government relatable to the sovereign functions of the Government including all the activities carried on by the departments of the Central Governments dealing with defence research , atomic energy and space ; or
7) any domestic service ;or
8) any... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 09). Industrial Dispute Act. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Industrial-Dispute-Act-778835.html
"Industrial Dispute Act" StudyMode.com. 09 2011. 2011. 09 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Industrial-Dispute-Act-778835.html>.
- MLA 7
"Industrial Dispute Act." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 09 2011. Web. 09 2011. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Industrial-Dispute-Act-778835.html>.
"Industrial Dispute Act." StudyMode.com. 09, 2011. Accessed 09, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Industrial-Dispute-Act-778835.html.