Following are the key aspects of the Indo-US civil nuclear deal:
* The agreement not to hinder or interfere with India's nuclear programme for military purposes.
* US will help India negotiate with the IAEA for an India-specific fuel supply agreement.
* Washington will support New Delhi develop strategic reserves of nuclear fuel to guard against future disruption of supply.
* In case of disruption, US and India will jointly convene a group of friendly supplier countries to include nations like Russia, France and the UK to pursue such measures to restore fuel supply.
* Both the countries agree to facilitate nuclear trade between themselves in the interest of respective industries and consumers.
* India and the US agree to transfer nuclear material, non-nuclear material, equipment and components.
* Any special fissionable material transferred under the agreement shall be low enriched uranium.
* Low enriched uranium can be transfered for use as fuel in reactor experiments and in reactors for conversion or fabrication.
* The ambit of the deal include research, development, design, construction, operation, maintenance and use of nuclear reactors, reactor experiments and decommissioning.
* The US will have the right to seek return of nuclear fuel and technology but it will compensate for the costs incurred as a consequence of such removal.
* India can develop strategic reserve of nuclear fuel to guard against any disruption of supply over the lifetime of its reactors.
* Agreement provides for consultations on the circumstances, including changed security environment, before termination of the nuclear cooperation.
* Provision for one-year notice period before termination of the agreement.
* The US to engage Nuclear Suppliers Group to help India obtain full access to the international fuel market, including reliable, uninteruppted and continual access to fuel supplies from firms in several nations.
* The US will...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document