Top of Form
1. Plywood cannot be used as a structural member for shoring systems unless the system is designed by a professional engineer. True False
2. The "four-foot rule":
Refers to your means of escape from an excavation Says a means of escape must be provided if an excavation is more than four feet deep Says the exit must be within 25 feet of every worker All of the above 3. Employees in a trench must wear hard hats at all times.
4. All excavations are trenches.
5. In the event of an accident:
Heavy equipment may be used to free the victim All workers should go to the accident area to assist the rescue First aid should only begin after rescue personnel have arrived An emergency response procedure should be followed 6. Welding pipe in a trench creates a potential hazardous atmosphere. True False
7. The top width of a short duration trench in type "A" soil that is 10 feet deep and 4 feet at the bottom is: 24 feet 14 feet 19 feet 12 feet
8. Remotely located excavations may be left open and unprotected provided no one is working in the area. True False
9. Excavation material must be kept at least ______ feet from the edge of the trench. 1 1 1/2 2 None of the above
10. The maximum allowable slope for a type "B" excavation less than 20 feet deep is: 45 degrees 90 degrees 53 degrees 34 degrees
11. Ramps are the only acceptable means of entering and exiting a trench. True False
12. Statistics show that the majority of trenching fatalities occur in excavations less than ______ feet deep. 6 9 15 18
13. The daily inspection of the excavation site done by the competent person includes: Checking for possible cave-ins Checking for hazardous atmospheres Checking for hazardous conditions All of the above 14. A trench having 19.5% oxygen is always safe to enter.
15. Emergency rescue equipment must be available and maintained at all sites where a hazardous atmosphere could reasonably be expected to exist. True False
16. Soil that is granular like gravel or sand, or soil from which water is freely seeping is: Type A soil Type B soil Type C soil Stable rock
17. How often should an excavation and the adjacent areas be inspected by a competent person? Hourly Daily Weekly Monthly
18. Excavations that are located near landfill areas, underground chemical storage, gas stations, swamp areas, etc. should be tested for oxygen deficiency and other hazardous atmospheres prior to employees entering. True False
19. Protective systems include sloping or benching the sides of the trench, trench shields and shoring. True False
20. Emergency rescue equipment is required by OSHA:
Where hazardous atmospheres exist Where hazardous atmospheres could exist Both a and b Air quality in an excavation doesn't need to be tested 21. A competent person must enter the excavation first to test the atmosphere. True False
22. In any type of soil, support or shield systems must extend at least ______ above the top of the vertical side. 6 inches 12 inches 18 inches 24 inches
23. An excavation of ______ feet or greater requires that an exit be provided. The exit must be within ______ feet of every worker. 4,30 5,20 4,25 5,25
24. Every employee must be protected when entering or working in an excavation. True False
25. Duties of the competent person include:
Soil analysis Assigning employee duties Designing protective systems All of the above 26. Only flag men exposed to public vehicular traffic are required to wear vests or other highly visible garments. True False
27. Which of the following does not need to be done before you excavate? Contact the utility companies or property owner Ensure underground utilities are protected and supported A competent person needs to determine the soil type Notify the local OSHA office 28. No protective system is required if the excavation is:
Entirely in soil type A Less than...