Libraries are collections of books and other media. A library plays a very important role in promoting the progress of knowledge. There are many who love reading. But they can’t afford to buy books because the prices of books are very high. So when one becomes a member of a library, he can borrow valuable books and return them by their due date. Librarians support the general requirement of the library like acquisition, cataloguing, circulation. Librarians need to have all detailed information about students and books. They need to keep a track on the how many books are available in library and books issued to the students and also book lost in library. This is a really tedious task.
Computerisation of all these above activities is necessary for easy management of library.
Management of a library is a tedious task. It not only involves storing a lot many books for the readers but keeping a track on these books such as taking care of things like- to whom books are being issued, whether these books have been returned or not or whether books have been returned on time or not. Librarians face a lot many problems while managing the library. Some of these problems are-
• Many students issue more than one book at a time which is mostly not allowed and librarians are sometimes not able to track them.
• When proper records are not maintained, sometimes students don’t return books. Due to lack of knowledge they are not punished too.
• When management of library is done on manual basis there is always a chance of committing mistakes.
• Books are misplaced sometimes.
• Manual management of library is very much time consuming and difficult.
Libraries help students achieve academic success as well as boost their drive to learn. Maintaining a library is not an easy task. Librarians usually handle all aspects of library operations on manual basis. Sometimes manual work leads to lot many...