“Impact of GST on the Fast Moving Consumer Goods Sector”
Karthik Regunathan PGP25304 Rahul Tom Joseph PGP25317
Goods and Services Tax:
Of the many fiscal initiatives of the reinstated UPA government, the rolling out of the Goods and Services Tax promises to be the most significant initiative of Independent India. Initially envisaged to be in place by April 1, 2010 the GST would result in a major rationalization and simplification of the consumption tax structure at both the centre and state levels by replacing all central and state level indirect taxes such as value added tax (VAT), excise duty, service tax, entertainment tax among others bring relief to the common man.
GST: An Executive Summary
GST is the most ambitious indirect tax reform in India ever attempted and aims to create one “borderless domestic market”. It will tax consumption as against “production” which is the current norm. A uniform rate will be imposed on a product only once, at the point of its supply, thus reducing the cost for consumers.
Key benefits: If GST is implemented without many exemptions and with a single rate, the following benefits will accrue:
* Macro: Successful pan-India implementation will add 1-1.7 % to the GDP and boost the tax/GDP ratio.
* Micro: Incidence of tax will come down in case of manufactured goods. However, in case of services the incidence and coverage of tax may rise resulting in higher prices.
* Industry: Volume growth will accrue as incidence of taxation is minimized. Also, supply chain efficiencies will accrue as there will be no need for multiple depots and warehouses.
* Likely beneficiaries: Auto, FMCG, Logistics sectors
GST is not just VAT + Service tax, but an improvement over the previous VAT and disjointed services tax:
* Will remove cascading effect of taxes and include comprehensively more indirect Central taxes and integrate goods and services taxes for... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 08). Impact of Gst on Fmcg Sector. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 08, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Impact-Of-Gst-On-Fmcg-Sector-376266.html
"Impact of Gst on Fmcg Sector" StudyMode.com. 08 2010. 2010. 08 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Impact-Of-Gst-On-Fmcg-Sector-376266.html>.
- MLA 7
"Impact of Gst on Fmcg Sector." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 08 2010. Web. 08 2010. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Impact-Of-Gst-On-Fmcg-Sector-376266.html>.
"Impact of Gst on Fmcg Sector." StudyMode.com. 08, 2010. Accessed 08, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Impact-Of-Gst-On-Fmcg-Sector-376266.html.