Hypothesis: Honey will contain sugars, egg white contains proteins, corn oil contains lipids, oats contains starches and proteins, gelatin contains sugars and proteins, potatoes contain starch, and apple juice contains lipids and sugars.
Materials: 9 test tubes
Test tube rack
Test tube holder
20 ml honey solution
20 ml egg white and water mixture
20 ml corn oil
Oats and water
20 ml gelatin and water solution
20 ml potato and water mixture
20 ml apple juice and water mixture
20 ml unknown substance #1
20 ml unknown substance #2
600 ml beaker
Procedure: 1. Place test tubes in the test tube rack. Use the grease pencil to label each test tube based on the substance that will be placed in them.
2. To test for starches, fill each test tube with 5ml of the substance indicated by the label.
3. Add 5 drops of iodine solution to each test tube. The contents will change to a blue-black color in the presence of starch.
4. Record your observations.
5. Wash test tubes thoroughly.
6. To test for sugar, fill each test tube with 5ml of the substance indicated by the label. Add 10 drops of Benedict's solution to each test tube.
7. Fill the beaker half-way with water. Heat the water with the hot plate to a gentle boil.
8. Place tubes into beaker with the test tube holder and wait 5 minutes, then remove the test tubes with the test tube holder and place them back into the test tube rack.
9. Check for a change in color from blue to green, yellow, orange, or red in the presence of sugars.
10. Record your observations then wait for the test tubes to cool and wash them thoroughly.
10. To test for proteins, fill each test tube with 5ml of the substance indicated by the label. Add 5 drops of Biuret reagent to... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2007, 10). Identifying Organic Compounds Lab Report. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 2007, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Identifying-Organic-Compounds-Lab-Report-122576.html
"Identifying Organic Compounds Lab Report" StudyMode.com. 10 2007. 10 2007 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Identifying-Organic-Compounds-Lab-Report-122576.html>.
"Identifying Organic Compounds Lab Report." StudyMode.com. 10, 2007. Accessed 10, 2007. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Identifying-Organic-Compounds-Lab-Report-122576.html.