1. Many people believe that television violence has a negative effect on society because it promotes violence. Do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to support your response.
11. Research shows that the average American watches as much as six hours of television each day. Do you think this is too much? Write an essay convincing readers to spend less time in front of the TV.
12. Many junior high and high schools around the country now require students to spend a certain number of hours each term doing volunteer work or community service. Some people believe this is an excellent idea that promotes good citizenship and cultivates compassion. Others feel that forced volunteerism is not volunteerism at all. How do you feel about this issue? Use specific reasons and examples to support your position.
13. Most states allow people to get a driver’s license at the age of 16. Some people feel that 16 is much too young for the responsibility that comes with driving a car and that teenagers should not be allowed to drive until the age of 18. In your opinion, at what age should people be allowed to drive, and why?
16. In many countries, citizens are required to serve in the military for a year or more. Do you believe the United States should institute a similar practice? Why or why not? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
21. More and more farmers and food manufacturers are
genetically modifying their crops to reduce susceptibility to disease, improve flavor, and reduce costs. Do you think
genetically modifying foods is a good idea? Why or why not?
Use specific reasons and examples to support your position.
24. Good habits improve our physical, emotional, and/or financial health. Select one of your good habits and write an essay
persuading readers to make that habit a part of their lives.
26. Today, there are more and more reality shows on television. Do these shows make...