The experiment will be designed to find out the stoichiometric mole ratio of Barium Chloride and Silver Nitrate yielding a precipitate of Silver Chloride in a Barium Nitrate solution. (BaCl2 + 2AgNO3 -> Ba(NO3)2 + 2AgCl)
How will the amount of Barium Chloride and Silver Nitrate affect how much Silver Chloride is produced?
If there is one mole of BaCl2 in the reaction, then two moles of AgCl will be produced.
Independent: Amount of the compound, BaCl2, in grams.
Dependent: Amount product produced, AgCl, in grams.
* 4 -grams of Barium Chloride (BaCl2)
* 8 -grams of Silver Nitrate (AgNO3)
* Analytical Balance
* 2- Volumetric Flasks; one 50 mL flask, and one 100 mL flask
* 2- Scoopulas
* 10- Weigh Boats
* 5- Filter paper
* 5- 250 mL beakers
* 2- 25 mL pipets
* Distilled water
* 2- 100 mL Erlenmeyer flasks
* 2- glass funnels
1. To the best of your ability, weigh out 3.75 grams of BaCl2 and 6.125 grams of AgNO3 on separate weigh boats
2. Pour the BaCl2 into the 50 mL volumetric flask from the weigh boat
3. Then add 14 mL of water to the flask to make the 0.5M solution of BaCl2
4. When pouring in the water, make sure the meniscus is right on the line
5. Next pour the AgNO3 into the 100 mL volumetric flask from the weigh boat
6. Then add the remaining 28 mL of water to make the 0.5M solution of AgNO3
7. Swirl the solutions to make sure the salts are fully dissipated, also making sure no liquid spills
8. Make sure to label a beaker to a specific mass, beaker #1 should be the .25 grams of Barium Chloride and so on
9. Use one pipet to pick up 25 mL of the Barium Chloride solution and the other to pick up 25 mL of... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 01). Ib Chemistry Hygroscopic Bead Lab Report. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 01, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Ib-Chemistry-Hygroscopic-Bead-Lab-Report-1353852.html
"Ib Chemistry Hygroscopic Bead Lab Report" StudyMode.com. 01 2013. 2013. 01 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Ib-Chemistry-Hygroscopic-Bead-Lab-Report-1353852.html>.
- MLA 7
"Ib Chemistry Hygroscopic Bead Lab Report." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 01 2013. Web. 01 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Ib-Chemistry-Hygroscopic-Bead-Lab-Report-1353852.html>.
"Ib Chemistry Hygroscopic Bead Lab Report." StudyMode.com. 01, 2013. Accessed 01, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Ib-Chemistry-Hygroscopic-Bead-Lab-Report-1353852.html.