General Purpose:To orally present information by sharing, defining, or explaining.
Specific Purpose:To persuade my audience that hybrid vehicles are an environmentally sensitive and affordable for almost anyone.
Central Idea:Hybrid cars have several advantages over conventional cars.
I.Here is an alarming statistic: According to the website GreenerCars.com, the United States is the world’s largest emitter of carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide is the main greenhouse gas that causes global warming (Open with impact/Gain attention).
II.By clapping your hands, how many of you are as shocked as I was to learn this information? (Poll the audience/Respond).
II.There are many ways to promote a cleaner Earth. However, today I will be specifically talking about hybrid vehicles and some of the reasons why drivers should own a hybrid, including the impact these cars have on the environment (Introduce the subject).
IV.After owning a hybrid for three years and doing additional research for two weeks for this speech, I feel competent to speak on this topic. (Establish credibility).
Motivate audience to listen… VISUAL AID/VIDEO AID/MUSICAL AID
V.Good morning ladies and gentleman! My name is (state your full name here). At the end of my speech, you (the audience) will know the main reason why consumers are interested in hybrid vehicles is their fuel efficiency my first main point. Second, learn the difference hybrids have on our environment. Finally, know some benefits hybrid buyers can receive my third main point. (Tell us what you are going to tell us). Also after my speech, I hope you’ll be able to tell anyone and everyone why a hybrid car is a smart and sensible purchase for anyone in the market for a vehicle. (Tell us your persuasive objective).
I.The first and main reason why consumers are interested in hybrid vehicles is their fuel efficiency.
A. The amount of money one can save depends on several factors, including how much you drive, the cost of gas and how long you plan on keeping your car.
B. Comparison of Civic Hybrid and Civic non-hybrid
1. $2/gallon would save $100/year for every 10,000 miles driven. This based on a 10 MPG difference between the two.
2. If your hybrid got 20 MPG over your non-hybrid, your savings would be around $250/year, will all other factors remaining the same.
C. Personal comparisons with a test found on the website allabouthybridcars.com 1. my car – 1200 miles/month, averaging 25 MPG and gas at $2.50/gallon; annual fuel cost is $1440. Driving a Prius (51 MPG), I would save approximately $734/year on gas and use about 294 gallons less of fuel. After 5 years, savings is about $3600. Civic Hybrid, numbers vary only slightly, saving $690/year on gas and 276 gallons.
2. my mom’s car (Kia Sorento) – 1300 miles/month, averaging 18-20 MPG and gas at $2.50/gallon; annual cost is $2340. Prius – save $1422/year and 474 gallons; 5 yr savings of over $7K. Ford Escape (31 MPG) – save $830/year and 277 gallons; 5 yr savings of over $4K.
Transition: Now that you know the average amount of money the average driver can save with a hybrid car my first main point, you should next learn the difference hybrids have on our environment, my second main point.
II.As I said earlier, the US is the world’s largest emitter of CO2, but carbon dioxide is not the only thing conventional vehicles emit and not the only thing that leads to global warming.
A. Major Pollutants that are Greenhouse Gases
1. Carbon dioxide – dominant greenhouse gas. Potential effects of global warming include disruption of global weather patterns and ecosystems, flooding, severe storm and droughts.
2. Carbon monoxide – colorless, odorless and poisonous gas that when inhaled can impair flow of oxygen to the brain and affect the...