HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
Coles Myer one of the organisation that have found that having good human resource management in place helps the organisation to become a highly competitive organisation. To become a highly performing organisation starts with being able to recruit and select the best applicants for various positions within the organisation. Job training and personal and professional development are other activities that are also part of managing a company’s human resources. This chapter explores the necessary components of an effective and efficient human resource management system.
Managers and Human Resource Departments
Strategic Human Resource Management
The Human Resource Management Process
Important Environmental Considerations
Human Resource Planning
Future Human Resource Need Assessment
Developing a Future Program
Recruitment and Decruitment
What Is Selection?
The Application Form
Performance Simulation Tests
What Works Best and When?
Compensation and Benefits
Performance Appraisal Methods
Graphic Rating Scales
Behaviourally Anchored Rating Scales
Providing Feedback in the Appraisal Review
Performance Appraisal in Other Countries
The Way It Was
You and Your Career Today
Australian Industrial Relations
New Zealand's Industrial Relations
Current Issues in Human Resource Management
Managing a Diverse and Multicultural Workforce
Orientation and Training
Occupational Health and Safety
After reading this chapter, students should be able to:
1. Explain the importance of strategic human resource management.
2. Describe the human resource management process.
3. Differentiate between job descriptions and job specifications.
4. Contrast recruitment and decruitment options.
5. Explain the importance of validity and reliability in selection.
6. Describe the selection devices that work best with various kinds of jobs.
7. Identify the various training methods.
8. Identify six performance appraisal methods.
9. Discuss the challenges of managing your personal career.
10. Describe how HRM practices can facilitate workforce diversity.
11. Explain why sexual harassment is a growing concern of management.
12. Explain why family concerns and occupational health and safety should receive more attention.
The quality of an organisation is, to a large degree, determined by the quality of the people who work for the organisation. This chapter addresses the issues associated with human resource management.
2. MANAGERS AND HUMAN RESOURCE DEPARTMENTS.
Whether or not an organisation has a human resource department, every manager is involved with human resource decisions.
3. STRATEGIC HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT.
Various studies have concluded that an organisation's human resources can be a significant source of competitive advantage.
A. To achieve this, managers have to fundamentally rethink the organisation's workforce and how they view the work relationship. It...