Flippo: “HRM is concerned with the procurement, development, compensation, integration and maintenance of Human Resources in an organization towards accomplishment of organization goals. Therefore, HRM is the planning, organizing, directing and controlling of the performance of those operative functions”.
Definition of National Institute of P.M (NIHRM): “is that part of management which is primarily concerned with human relationships in an organization”.
Some basic concepts: (Scope).
■ HRM involves managing people at all levels in organizations
■ Both as individuals and groups
■ Both formal and informal relationships
■ Developing people
■ Not only controlling them
■ Certainly not manipulating them
■ Handling human beings is perhaps the most difficult job – calling for special training.
■ Handling people is continuous in nature. What the organization has done to the people yesterday will affect the performance and relationships today and tomorrow.
■ HRM aims at obtaining willing co-operation of the people.
■ Subject is bound by many conventions, codes and ethics
■ Very strictly bound by laws.
■ The subject calls for intellectual approach and emotional approach.
Importance of HRM -- Some general points
• It is admitted universally that the human factor is the most vital and complex to handle. Therefore, proper study of the subject is necessary.
• People are rational and reasonable – but not always. Only a professionally qualified person will be able to tackle both the situations.
• Understanding people is a rare science and art. Therefore an organized study is a must.
Qualities of a Human Resources Manager
• People are individually different in their abilities, ambitions, background, etc.
• People behave differently as individuals and as groups.
• The human element has... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 10). Human Resource Management. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Human-Resource-Management-438980.html
"Human Resource Management" StudyMode.com. 10 2010. 10 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Human-Resource-Management-438980.html>.
"Human Resource Management." StudyMode.com. 10, 2010. Accessed 10, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Human-Resource-Management-438980.html.