Your project should be submitted to the dropbox by the end of Unit 8.
Unit 8 Project Questions: Part I
1. Under HIPAA, are you legally allowed to view this patient’s medical information? Why or why not? Under HIPAA you are not legally allowed to view a patients medical information unless you have written consent, but because he just had outpatient surgery and signed a HIPAA release of information form so you are able to view his information.
2. In this case, how would you be able to correct your error and provide the missing documents to the patient while still protecting patient confidentiality under HIPAA?
You would either try and contact the paitent tolet him know that he had forgotten his prescriptions and after-care instructions and have him pick them up or have them mailed to him.
3. Besides a HIPAA Patient Release of Information form, list 4 other items that are found in the medical record. The 4 other things found in a medical record is 1) patients complete name, address, phone numbers, social security number and other important information.
2) the doctors notes and diagnosis and treatment information. 3) laboratory test results. 4) family medical history.
4. Legally, does the patient or the physician/healthcare facility own the medical record? Why? In most states the state statutes states that the physician or owner of the healthcare facility own the medical records, but patient has the legal right of privileged...