A process of adoption
– Better employee performance
– Increased Organizational stability
– Reduce new employee’s anxiety
– Help learning
– Similar way of adjustment
The Purpose of New-Employee Orientation
Orientation may be done by the supervisor, the HRM staff or some combination Formal or informal, depending on the size of the organization Covers such things as:
The organization’s objectives
HRM policies and benefits
Learning the Organization’s Culture
– Culture includes long-standing, often unwritten rules about what is appropriate behavior. – Socialized employees know how things are done, what matters, and which behaviors and perspectives are acceptable.
a learning experience designed to achieve a relatively permanent change in an individual that will improve the ability to perform on the job. Employee development
future-oriented training, focusing on the personal growth of the employee.
Determining Training Needs
On the job training Off the job training
Job rotation Classroom lectures
Understudy assignment Films and videos
Employee development Evaluating Training and Development Effectiveness Methods Opinion and comments
Job rotation Performance based measure
Assistant to Position Post training performance measurement Committee assignment Pre-Post training performance measurement Lecture course and seminars Pre-Post training performance compared with Simulations control group
Traditionally, career development referred to programs offered by organizations to help employees advance within the organization. Today, each individual must take responsibility for his or her career What is a Career?
– The sequence of position that a person has held over his or her work-life. – Pattern of work-related experiences that span the course of a person’s life. – Reflects any work, paid or unpaid.
– Broad definition helpful in today’s work environment where employees and organizations have diverse needs.
Advice, examples, achievements, ambition and goals search for work Self assessment and educational path getting first job Experience: internshipgetting evidence of “success” or “failure” Mid-career Late career
Transfer / promotion Challenging job
Maximum productivity but Plateau progress Teaching others Becoming mentor Preparing retirement Self -improvement Threats and crisis
Preparation for retirement
Rituals of retirement
Learning to accept reduced role
Chapter Four: Employee Motivation
– Performance Appraisal
– Rewards and Compensation
Performance Management system
– Performance Feedback
– Performance Development
The Appraisal Process:
– Absolute standards
– Relative standards
Evaluating absolute standards:
An employee’s performance is measured against established...