I was asked to create a portfolio of a retail organisation that has atleast 100 employees overall and at least one physical retail store. So I chose JD Wetherspoon (a chain of hotels and pubs). In this portfolio I have mention about training and development of new employees, how do we deal with absenteeism, remuneration policies and organizational involvement towards employee’s problem.
5.1 Task 1
Learning Concepts and Learning need:
There are two basic learning schools of thoughts namely Behaviourist and Cognitivists: * Behaviourist
* “Pavlov Classical Condition” based on Reward & Punishment, used when a person have the tendency to learn, the person is not new at work. Rather the reward and no reward affect the general behaviour. * “Skinner Operant conditioning” is based mainly on (Trial & Error). * Cognitivists
* It analyses employee learning need through concrete action. * It based mainly on observation, lateral thinking and experience. * The approach is direct in nature quite different from that of that skinner’s and Pavlov’s. Security and Loss Prevention Officer:-
In the retail environment, it is very important to have a constant eye on loss-prevention that is keeping an eye on organization’s stocks and hard currency. The calculations that retail stores is based on the merchandise they have and how much they should have in actual which can be determined through sales ; The difference is known as shrinkage. Their duties include spotting and preventing employee theft, shoplifting and paperwork errors. Most loss-prevention positions require experience or initial training courses. In JD Wetherspoon we have hired a “security and loss prevention officer” whose duty is to spot and prevent employee theft, shoplifting and prevent the paper errors. While talking about loss prevention it is necessary to give initial training courses. We have hired a new person at the position and for that we have to check the learning need that he has, how much of experience does he posses and how much is in need. Learning needs analysis:
* Check out for external and internal forces
* Questionnaires may help inside the organization to help analyse learning need as well. * Verify the mandatory experience required to fill the post. * Secondly the organization check (previous organization) from where the employee came from. We need to examine from which type of environment he came from. * A close check at the duties he had performed and which he will have to perform. It is a very important step, as it determines the difference between the bag of experience that employee has, and the learning required for him at a new place to let him be on the same level as every other employee on any level in the organization. * Experience test is another way to analyse the new employee’s experience and learning difference. It can be done through a situational stimulation or through a more formal paper test.
Designing A Training Program:
* The fundamental Security and loss prevention Course is a five day course cover the basic topics regarding Security and loss prevention. Employee then has to complete a field practical practise which enables him to successfully analyse the actual situations that he may have to tackle. * As shoplifting become constant threat to retail business it is therefore very important for security and loss prevention officer to know the psyche of the shoplifters. * A psychological assistance is provided to him to know the potential societal reasons why people shoplift to our Security and loss prevention officer. * Training for S4M anti-thief methods and error observance mechanism also being a part of our newly hired employee training design.
5.2 Task 2
Absenteeism is one big issue at our organization’s physical stores, controlling absenteeism requires to closely analyzing issues relating directly or...