Manpower planning enables a department to project its short to long term needs on the basis of its departmental plans so that it can adjust its manpower requirements to meet changing priorities. The more changing the environment the department is in, the more the department needs manpower planning to show:
* the number of recruits required in a specified timeframe and the availability of talent
* early indications of potential recruitment or retention difficulties
* surpluses or deficiencies in certain ranks or grades
* availability of suitable qualified and experienced successors
Manpower planning comprises two key components:
* succession planning
The information derived from the succession plan should feed into the training and development of the individuals concerned by ensuring that they attend the necessary training and are posted to jobs that will provide them with the experience for their intended role.
Manpower Training and Development
The objective of training and development is to enable civil servants to acquire the knowledge, skills, abilities and attitudes necessary to enable them to improve their performance. Staff training and development should focus on the department's objectives and goals and staff's competencies in achieving them. A strategic approach has the following characteristics :
* commitment to training and developing people;
* regular analysis of operational requirements and staff competencies;
* linking training and development to departmental goals and objectives;
* skilled training personnel;
* regular evaluation;
* a continuous learning culture;
* joint responsibility between managers and staff for identifying and meeting training needs; and
* a variety of training and development methods for different circumstances and learning styles.
Cite This Essay
(2011, 08). Hr Planning. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 08, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hr-Planning-762727.html
"Hr Planning" StudyMode.com. 08 2011. 08 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hr-Planning-762727.html>.
"Hr Planning." StudyMode.com. 08, 2011. Accessed 08, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hr-Planning-762727.html.