How to Write a Reading Response Essay
What is a Reading Response Essay?
A Reading Response essay:
* Summarizes what you read.
* Gives your reaction to the text.
Your reaction will be one or more of the following:
* Agreement/disagreement with the ideas in the text.
* Reaction to how the ideas in the text relate to your own experience. * Reaction to how ideas in the text relate to other things you've read. * Your analysis of the author and audience.
* Your evaluation of how this text tries to convince the reader and whether it is effective.
Bottom of Form
Reading Response Introduction and Conclusion Ideas
frame story: start a story (personal or in reading)
| Finish the story
| expectations fulfilled: tell what you expected or thought before reading the essay
| tell how the reading met your expectations
| expectations unfulfilled: tell your expectations
| tell how these were overturned or changed
| Questions: ask one or more questions about topic
| answers to questions
| Startling statistic or fact
| How reading helps us understand or interpret fact or statistics
| vivid description of subject with sensory images
| tell how reading helps us understand description
| scenario: show a typical scene or conversation relating to topic (real or made up)
| finish scene or conversation or repeat it with a different ending
| What we all know about topic (statements most people believe)
| What is really true
| Quote or famous saying
| How quote explains your thesis
Response Reading Help: Instead of "Jones says," you can use: said
| points out
6 Responding Essay Ideas
Here are six different ways to respond to an essay:
1. You can agree with the article and explain three or more reasons why you agree. 2. You can disagree with the article and explain three or more reasons why. 3. You can agree with some parts of the article and disagree with other parts and explain why. 4. You can analyze the rhetorical situation (occasion, purpose, audience, and context) of this article and explain why the author’s personal experience causes them to write this piece. 5. You can take one part of the essay (agreeing or disagreeing with it) and expand on that idea, giving reasons for the reader to agree with you. 6. You can explain your reaction to the article and then analyze how the writer’s style, tone, word choice and examples made you feel that way. Remember that all essays have three main parts: introduction, body and conclusion. There are many ways to write a good essay, but I will give you a general guide to follow which will help you to organize your ideas. Step by Step How to Write a Reading Response
Introduction: Your introduction will be 1-3 paragraphs. For this essay, because you want to give both information about the subject and also briefly summarize the article you are responding to, you probably need at least two paragraphs. In all introductions, you want to: * Get the reader’s attention
* Describe your subject
* Give your thesis
For a Responsive Reading essay you also need to:
* Mention the author and title of the article you are discussing * Give a brief summary of the article or the part of the article that you will be responding to Paragraph One: Get the reader’s attention and describing the subject in one of the following ways: use a startling statistic, an interesting fact, an appropriate quotation, an anecdote, a scenario, a conversation, a story, a question your essay will answer, an example, or general...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document