Persuasive Essay: Topic and Audience Worksheet
If you did not take UNV 104 or if you would like to review the writing concepts introduced in UNV 104, it is suggested that you view a media piece entitled, “The Writing Process,” which is available to support the development of your writing skills. For this Module, focus on the “Who is the Audience?” section of the media piece.
Part 1: Select a Topic
Choose a topic for your Persuasive Essay from the list below. If you would like to write about a topic that is not on the list, contact your instructor via email to request approval. *
* Gun control
* Legalization of marijuana
* Bullying in school
* Drug abuse among teenagers
* Online education
* Banning books (censorship)
* Mandatory military service
* Separation of church and state
* English only in the K-12 classroom
* Charter schools
* Regulation of business (choose a specific focus)
* Same-sex marriage
* Flag burning (does someone have the right to burn the flag of the country who gives them that right?) * Government-mandated healthcare (citizens are required to purchase private insurance) * Health care paid for by the government
* Death penalty
1) What is the topic for your persuasive essay? Record your topic here.
2) Begin thinking about the different issues included in the topic you have selected, narrow your focus, and take a pro or con position for the subject of your essay. Present a simple statement of your position.
Section II: Identify your Audience
Answer the following questions regarding the audience for your essay. 1) Who do you intend to read your essay?
2) Are there clues in this particular assignment about who your audience is?
3) Do you have more than one audience? If so, how many do you have? List them.
4) What is the appropriate way to address this audience...