Whether you're a seasoned traveler or planning your first trip, there are several important things to keep in mind before calling your travel agent and booking your next vacation to Mexico.
1. Time of year: While "Cancun in the springtime" is very fun, the truth is that you're most likely to spend many days outside, because the weather can be humid and hot. Sometimes there is rain, but if you're not sure of weather patterns, check with your travel agent who can advise you on rainy seasons or other weather-related issues for traveling to a specific spot.
2. Your Budget: Decide how much you've got to spend, and don't forget to include extras like tourist attractions, getting around, souvenirs and meals (which are typically much cheaper in Cancun than in the states). If your budget is smaller, consider visiting Cancun, looking for packaged tours, or, if you're flexible, book a "last-minute" trip, which can often save you 30% or more. Check out the current exchange rate between your currency and that of the country you'll be visiting, to have a better idea of what your vacation is going to actually cost you. Whenever possible, travel during an off-peak season to save even more.
3. Your secret dreams or "someday" wishes: For most of us, taking a vacation is something we get to do only once a year and often plan and save the whole year for. So if you have always wanted to visit somewhere or do something special -- why wait? Include it in your next vacation plans.
4. Political Climate: While most countries that rely on tourism make every effort to ensure the safety of tourists, these days it's always a good idea to keep up on the current political climate of the country you're planning to visit, especially if there have been problems in the past.
5. Your own "internal clock": If you prefer sleeping in the mornings, and "doing your own thing" then a guided tour is probably not for you. Most guided tours start early in...