* 3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar shopping list
* 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick) softened
* 1/4 cup of milk
* 1 t vanilla
* 1 T lemon zest (the rind of a lemon)
2 T lemon juice
4 1/2 large egg whites1 cup milk
* 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
* 3 cups sifted cake flour
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (must be softened)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl lightly combine the egg whites, 1/4 cup milk and vanilla. 3. In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 seconds to blend. Add the butter and remaining 3/4 cup milk. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase to medium speed (high speed if using a hand mixer) and beat for 1 1/2 minutes to aerate and develop the cake's structure. 4. Scrape down the sides. Gradually add the egg mixture in 3 batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients and strengthen the structure. Scrape down the sides.Scrape the batter into the prepared pans and smooth surface with a spatula. The pans will be about 1/2 full. 5. Bake cupcakes 15 to 18 minutes (or two 9-inch by 1 1/2-inch pans greased and bottoms lined with parchment then greased again for 25 to 35 minutes) or until a tester inserted near the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the cen ter. (Cake will be light and will not brown even when done.) The cakes should start to shrink from the sides of the pan only after removal from...