How to Have Fun in the Workplace
Humor in the workplace can be a great motivator. Having some fun at work will help you to appreciate your job - and the people you work with - more. Start having fun with some simple tips and ideas.
Things You’ll Need:
• A good sense of humor
• A good attitude
Use Common Sense - Before you consider telling a joke at work, take a moment to make sure you will not offend anyone. If the joke is something you would have no problem telling to your grandmother, it is probably okay for work. An occasional joke is fine for most places. Just don’t spend too much time entertaining your fellow employees as you don’t want to be seen as the “class clown” of the office. Save racy or ethnic jokes for another audience or don’t tell them at all. Step2
The Funny Side - Point out the funny side of everyday work snafus and try not to take things too seriously. If you are going to make fun of someone, make fun of yourself and show people that you are human and lighthearted. They will respond positively. Step3
Handle Stress - When you do feel stressed out, keep in mind the mantra – “It’s only a job, it’s only a job.” Because you know what? It is only a job. There are much more important things that can go wrong in life than a broken fax machine. If you have good family, friends and health, consider yourself well ahead of the game. Step4
Email - In some workplaces, it is acceptable to send out funny stories or jokes on line if the information is tasteful. Others have restrictions on email usage. Follow the proper procedures but if allowed, forward some funny or clever stories along to your work pals. (Inform them, too, about the ehow website address while you’re at it). A funny email with dogs dressed up for Halloween could really make someone’s day brighter and more fun. Step5
[pic]Socialize - Invite your work friends over once in a while or plan a holiday party with them. If you get to know people better, you will enjoy each other’s company more at work. Organize a potluck lunch event where everyone brings a dish to share. Do this monthly and have a theme for different types of food each time. Step6
Open Up - Be open to new experiences and fun will follow. Try a new sport or recreation activity with your work friends. Organize a bus trip to an amusement park or start a fitness club, where you walk together during lunch. Get to know different people at your job by including everyone in these activities. Mix some fun into your workday and improve your life.
Did you know that ...
1. The average pre-schooler laughs or smiles 400 times a day? Or that the number drops to only 15 times a day by the time people reach age 35?
2. People smile only 35 percent as much as they think they do?
3. Laughter releases endorphins, a chemical 10 times more powerful than the pain-relieving drug morphine, into the body with the same exhilarating effect as doing strenuous exercise?
4. Every time you have a good hearty laugh,you burn up 3 1/2 calories?
5. Laughing increases oxygen intake, thereby replenishing and invigorating cells? It also increases the pain threshold, boosts immunity, and relieves stress
Six Reasons that fun can improve work quality and mental health:
1. Fun breaks up boredom and fatigue
2. Fun fulfills human social needs
3. Fun increases creativity and willingness to help
4. Fun fulfills the need for mastery and control
5. Fun improves communication
6. Fun breaks up conflict and tension
Making FUN a profit factor...
In this series of articles, Kevin Ryan describes how companies have used humour to benefit their business' bottom line.
1Dress for fun
Wear something frivolous – every day if appropriate. It doesn’t have to be visible: ‘naughty’ underwear, silly socks, etc. The fact that you have this on will remind you not to take yourself so seriously. Make this...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document