How to review a paper 1
Checklist for a qualitative research paper 3
Checklist for material provided by a pharmaceutical company representative 4
Checklist for a paper that claims to validate a diagnostic or screening test 4
Checklist for a set of clinical guidelines 4
Checklist for a systematic review or meta-analysis 4
Checklist for an economic analysis 5
Checklist for health care organisations working towards an evidence based culture for clinical and purchasing decisions 5
Checklist for searching Medline or the Cochrane library 6
How to review a paper
Determine what a paper is about
• Why was the study done (what clinical question did it examine)?
• Is there a clear description of the problem
• Is the study useful and relevant to General Practice
• If the study is conducted in a hospital environment, can the results be interpreted in a general practice situation
• Was the study design appropriate to the broad field of research examined (therapy, diagnosis, screening, prognosis, causation)?
• What type of study was done?
- Primary research (experiment, randomised controlled trial, other controlled clinical trial, cohort study, case-control study, cross sectional survey, longitudinal survey, case report, or case series)?
- Secondary research (simple overview, systematic review, meta-analysis, decision analysis, guideline development, economic analysis)?
• Was the study ethical?
- Are there are any ethical objections to the design or reporting of the study
• Is there a review of the literature
• Is the writing style easily understood
• Is the paper was well laid out and easy to follow
• The design of the study is consistent with the aims
- Observational studies - qualitative, by interviewing
- Observational studies - quantitative, obtain baseline values
Cite This Essay
(2012, 03). How to Critically Appraise a Paper. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 03, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/How-To-Critically-Appraise-a-Paper-931107.html
"How to Critically Appraise a Paper" StudyMode.com. 03 2012. 2012. 03 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/How-To-Critically-Appraise-a-Paper-931107.html>.
- MLA 7
"How to Critically Appraise a Paper." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 03 2012. Web. 03 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/How-To-Critically-Appraise-a-Paper-931107.html>.
"How to Critically Appraise a Paper." StudyMode.com. 03, 2012. Accessed 03, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/How-To-Critically-Appraise-a-Paper-931107.html.