How My Brother Leon Brought Home a Wife
By: Manuel Arguilla
Discussant: Angela Pauline B. Saba
I. Background Information
MANUEL ESTABILLO ARGUILLA
* Born: June 17, 1911 in Nagrebcan, Buang, La Union
* was an Ilocano writer in English, patriot, and martyr
* is the 4th son of Crisanto Arguilla a farmer and Margarita Estabillo a potter * finished his elementary school in his hometown and high school in San Fernando * he is also an athlete where he became champion in swimming events he joined * entered the University of the Philippines where he joined the writers club and later became the president and editor of the UP Literary Apprentce * finished Education in 1933
* he married Lydia Villanueva , a fellow artist and writer and lived in Ermita, Manila * He was captured by the Japanese in 1944 and was imprisoned in Fort Santiago together with his family. His family was later freed but Manuel was sentenced to death. * He was executed on October 1944 at age of 33.
B. Time and Milieu : during 1940
C. Definition of Terms:
Short Story : is a work of fiction that is usually written in prose, often in narrative format.
* Ca -> title given in respect to somebody who is older * Carretela -> horse-drawn vehicle / carriage
* Camino Real -> the main road
* Lacay -> an Ilocano title of respect to an elderly man * Cud -> a wad of something chewable as tobacco
* Daintily -> in a delicate manner
* Glistened -> a sparkling , lustrous shine
* Hitch -> to fasten or catch temporarily with or as if with a loop or hook
II. STORY PROPER :
A. Setting : Nagrebcan - a rural place
* MARIA - the beautiful and stunning wife of Leon from Manila * BALDO - he is the younger brother of Leon
* the one who fetched Maria and Leon from the road to Nagrebcan * LEON – sometimes called as Noel because of...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document