1) School sports promote fitness, teamwork and help prevent obesity among teenagers. Even though home schooled students are allowed to participate in public school sports, only 3-5% of home schooled students participate (Equal).
2) Parents that Home school do not need a teaching degree, or even a college degree. They only need to be deemed “competent” (Oliveri, 1)
3)There are 10 states in the U.S that do not require parents to initiate any contact. In these states parents do not have to send professional evaluations of the students progress or test scores. They do not have to get there curriculum approved by the state and state officials do not visit their homes (State).
4) Lack of Social Interaction (Negative, 2).
5) People who practice home schooling are not always qualified to teach all subjects (Public, 10).
6) Home Schooling is very expensive. Parents still have to pay school tax and have to buy all the supplies, textbooks and labs for their children. Also, a second income is loss when parents decide to home school. The average family spends $3,197 to home school their children yearly (Keith, 20).
7) There is no diverse social interaction. Home Schooled children do not always get the opportunity to meet people from different ethnicities and backgrounds (Public, 6)
8) Parental dependence is a negative effect of many home schooled students (Cheever, 3).
9) Public schools offer many extra curricular activities. Home schooled students and their parents have to search for extra activities (Public, 6)
10) Lack of public school technology. Parents that home school must find and buy their own supplies (What, 10).
Cheever, Jenney. “Are There Negative Effects of Homeschooling?” Life 123.com 2010. 24 May 2010.
“Equal Access.” HSLDA. 2007. Home School Legal Defense Association....