Biography on homer
* Is the author of the Iliad
* Is the author of the Odyssey, and
* is revered as the greatest ancient Greek epic poet
* When he lived is controversial.
* Herodotus estimates that Homer lived 400 years before Herodotus' own time, * which would place him at around 850 BC
* Other ancient sources claim that he lived much nearer to the supposed time of the War, around in early 12th century BC. * For modern scholars "the date of Homer" refers not to an individual, but to the period when the epics were created * The Iliad being the oldest work of Western literature.
* Homer was described as the teacher of Greece
* Homer's works were about fifty percent speeches
* The Greek poet Homer lived sometime in the 9th or 8th century. * His exact lifetime remains in debate
* Most of what is known about him comes from his work.
* Was born in Greece
* Was thought to have lived around 99 years old
* little is known of him beyond the fact that his was the name attached to the poems * He is also one of the most influential authors
* that Homer must have lived not much later than the Trojan War * he had sang about the Trojan war
* The general belief that Homer was a native of Ionia
* Ionia is the central part of the western seaboard of Asia Minor * It seems reasonable conjectures for the poems themselves are in predominantly Ionic dialect. * Although Smyrna began competing for the honor
* Chios began competing for the honor
Please join StudyMode to read the full document