b. an equilibrium point that can change over a narrow range that is compatible with maintaining life
c. an equilibrium change that balances external and internal environment such that values of each are equated
2) Anabolism is the
a. breakdown of matter.
b. expulsion of matter.
c. synthesis of matter.
d. All of the answers are correct.
3) The sum of all chemical reactions that occur in the body is known as a. growth.
4) Osmometer cells sense changes in the concentration of blood plasma; therefore, they must be
b. control centers.
d. part of the cardiovascular system.
5) cells in the brain sense an increase in the concentration of the blood plasma. They then notify the pituitary gland to release the hormone, ADH. This hormone causes the kidney to save water, which lowers the concentration of the plasma. ALL of the following are TRUE for this scenario EXCEPT: xxxxa. The kidney acts as an effector in this feedback loop.xxxxxxxxxxx true
b. The osmometer cells act as receptors in this feedback loop.?????
c. The stimulus in this feedback loop is an increase in the plasma concentration.xxxxxxxx true
d. The controlled condition regulated by this feedback loop is constant ADH secretion. ??? e. This is an example of a negative feedback loop.???? True?
You are eating a hot fudge sundae. The pleasant taste information is sensed by your taste buds, which notify your brain. Your brain releases endorphins, which make you feel very good. You now associate the good feeling with hot fudge sundaes, so you eat another hot fudge sundae. Now you feel even better. Which of the following statements is TRUE regarding this scenario? a. This is a negative feedback loop because two hot fudge sundaes will make you sick.
b. This is a positive feedback loop because the results make you feel good.
c. This is a negative feedback loop because you were doing something bad for your health in the first place, and the result makes the situation worse.
d. This is a positive feedback loop because the stimulus (eating a hot fudge sundae) and the effect (eating another hot fudge sundae) are the same.
e. This is a negative feedback loop because the stimulus (eating a hot fudge sundae) and the effect (eating another hot fudge sundae) are the same. Peptide bonds are found in
d. inorganic compounds.
e. any type of molecule.
8) The smallest unit of matter that retains the properties and characteristics of an element is the
The speed or rate of a chemical reaction is influenced by ALL of the following EXCEPT
a. the concentration of the reactants.
b. the temperature.
c. the presence of catalysts or enzymes.
d. the presence or absence of carbon.
The function of ATP is to
a. act as a template for production of proteins.
b. store energy.
c. act as a catalyst.
d. determine the function of the cell.
e. hold amino acids together in a protein.
11) Carbohydrates are stored in the liver and muscles in the form of a. glucose.
Which of the following is a basic pH?
Enzymes and antibodies are examples of
d. nucleic acids.
In proteins, the folding of the unit on itself is referred to as its a. primary structure.
b. secondary structure.
c. tertiary structure.
d. quaternary structure.
e. All answers are correct.
15) The most abundant chemical compound found in the human...