Call To Action Speech
To persuade my audience to help fight homelessness
With more help for the homeless we can better America
I. Imagine for a moment that your not in this classroom.
A. Instead your outside, but you not walking to class or your dorm, your living there.
B. Imagine for a moment that you yourself are homeless.
1. You have no shelter
2. When it rains your wet
3. When its cold your freezing
4. You have no money
C. This is what life is like for many Americans each day
D. Today I would like to encourage you to donate your time or money to help fight the homeless epidemic in our nation.
(Transition: Let's start by taking a closer look at the homeless problem in America)
I. Homelessness effects many different kinds of people
A. According to National Coalition for the Homeless last year over three million people were homeless 1. Statistics show that people living in poverty are most likely to become homeless. 2. Economically they are at a high risk of losing what little they already have.
3. The average age of a homeless person is mid to upper thirties.
B. Homelessness affects families
1. The number of homeless families has significantly increased over the past decade.
2. They are among the fastest growing segments of the homeless population
3. They are approximently 40% of people who are homeless.
4. 50% of homeless adults were also homeless as children
C. Homelessness affects veterans
1. It is estimated that 1/3 of the homeless are veterans.
II. Why are these people homeless?
A. I asked my friend his opinion and he replied, "It's their own fault. They do it to
themselves by being lazy or with their drug habits." 1. Typically people have the impression that homeless people are sloppy, lazy, and irresponsible.
2. Many people believe the homeless should help themselves...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document