In the summer of 1924, Dr. Ylana took to task such idea by inviting several institutions to participate in the organization of such athletic association.
Those who accepted Ylanan's invitation were the University of Santo Tomas (UST), National University (NU), De La Salle College and the Institute of Accounts (forerunner of the Far Eastern University).
A week after its initial meeting, the group drafted and then approved the constitution and by-laws of the organization to form what became the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
Perhaps due to its larger student population, the universities dominated the inter-school competitions.
In 1930, the NCAA board of directors decided to file papers of incorporation with the then Bureau of Commerce. UP felt that the move would lead to commercialism when in fact it is a public institution. The same sentiment was shared by UST and NU.
Thus before the start of the 1930-1931 season, UP, UST and NU sought permission from the NCAA that they would form a triangular meet. This was approved by the NCAA board with the condition that the NCAA's scheduled events would have the first crack in the use of sports facilities. UST's Dionisio Calvo, NU's Leon Tirol and UP's Prof. Candido Bartolome signed the article of agreement.
Known as the Big Three, the group experimented by imposing the home and home format which prove to be a success. Thus, on April 6, 1932, the article of agreement was renewed.
With the initial success of the tournament, the Big Three decided to pull away from the NCAA where it continued to operate on the next six years. Going into its seventh year, the State University's board of directors of the Alumni Association suggested to...