CARIBBEAN HISTORY-- CSEC
This hand-out belongs to: _______________________________
• The School Based Assessment is ONE RESEARCH project/paper. This contributes 21% of the final grade for the external examination. The project will be marked out of 35. (See mark scheme in syllabus).
• The project should be between 1200 and 1500 words, not including bibliography, appropriate quotations, sources, charts, graphs, tables, pictures, references and appendices
• Use Times New Roman for your font style, size 12, double spaced. Do not use any fancy borders or background.
• The final project should be submitted in a clean folder with pages fastened.
• Plagiarism and cheating will be penalized.
What is plagiarism?
Plagiarism is the act of presenting the words or ideas of someone else as if they are your own words or ideas; in other words, it’s not giving credit where credit is due. This is “a serious academic offense” and “a form of intellectual dishonesty”
• Your first page should be your cover page and should have the following information.
• Next is your Table of Contents
• Then the next page should have the Theme, Research Question, Rationale Your rationale should include a brief summary of what your research is about, the reason for doing the research and what you hope to reveal, prove or disprove. For Example
Theme: Resistance and Revolt
Research Question: Despite an effort to keep her invisible the enslaved female played a major role in the resistance movement. How true is this of rebellions in Jamaica up to 1831?
It is my intention to clarify the fallacy that only men played a significant role in the resistance of slavery. The investigation will prove that the resistance by enslaved women was deliberate in dismantling slavery as they took part in the day to day resistance and various forms of revolts. The research will create a balanced perspective with regards to the roles played by each gender and it will engender more pride in the role played by women during slavery.
CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING RESEARCH TOPICS FOR YOUR PROJECT
SECTION A CARIBBEAN ECONOMY AND SLAVERY
a) The layout of a typical 18th century sugar plantation ensured self- sufficiency and maximized efficiency. Does the evidence support this statement?
b) Is it true to suggest that there was a strong presence of African Cultural Art forms within the British plantation society in the 1700’s?
SECTION B: ADJUSTMENTS TO EMANCIPATION, 1838-1876
c) What evidence is there to support the view that the ex-slaves themselves were just as responsible as the missionaries for the emergence of the free villages in the British Caribbean in the period 1838- 1876?
d) How accurate is the view that Asian immigration greatly influenced the economic and social landscape of the nineteenth century British Caribbean society?
e) What evidence is there to support the view that the ex- slaves were able to carve out an economic niche for their survival in the Caribbean in the post emancipation era.
SECTION C: CARIBBEAN POLITICAL DEVELOPMENT UP TO 1985
f) “The Spanish path to independence was more violent and aggressive than that of their British counterparts.” Does the evidence support this statement?
g) “It was the inability of early twentieth Caribbean nationalists to align national goals with regional interest that led to the failure of Federation.” Does the evidence support this statement?
• The body of your paper is written as one continuous document with sub headings.
• You will need to research and collect information using different sources. These include:
a) Primary Sources
These are documents or physical objects which were written or created during...