History of 82nd Field Artillery
The 82nd Field Artillery has a long and distinguished history including involvement in several influential military campaigns. The regiment has been in existence for over one hundred years. Although the regiment’s role in the Army has gone through many changes and transitions throughout its history, it continues to be an invaluable asset to the Army. You can analyze the history of the 82nd Field Artillery by its origins and history, influential campaigns and transition into modern day military support. The 82nd field Artillery became a regiment on June 3, 1916 under the title of C and D Troops of the 24th Cavalry in the Regular Army. The regiment, consisting of 62 officers, 1,448 enlisted men, 1,117 horses, and 114 mules, became the only horse battalion in the United States Army that had all members riding mounted horses instead of gun carriages. (Wikipedia). The regiment is first stationed at Fort D. A. Russell in Wyoming in the summer of 1917. It is then reorganized as an artillery regiment under the designation 82nd Field Artillery Regiment on November 1, 1917. Shortly thereafter, the regiment is reassigned to Fort Bliss, Texas and attached to the 15th Cavalry Division. The regiment fired its first shot under the command of Lieutenant Commander H.L. Newhold on June 16, 1919. In September 1921, the 82nd Field Artillery demobilized, Later becoming part of the 84th Field Artillery Battalion. That regiment also becomes deactivated like the 82nd. The 82nd Field Artillery reactivates on March 17, 1930, and then attached to the 1st Cavalry Division, located at Fort Bliss. Organized into two batteries per battalion, each battery towed 75mm Howitzer sections drawn by four horses. Trucks quickly replaced the horses in 1932 (Brewer). In 1943, the unit deploys to Brisbane, Australia for jungle training in anticipation island combat in World War II (WWII). In September of 1945, the unit deploys to Tokyo, Japan to assist with...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document