The Beginning of Radio and Television Broadcasting in the Philippines
Broadcasting means “to transmit a radio or television program for public or general use”. This also includes other media such as the internet. Broadcasting in the Philippines started as early as 1922.
The first radio stations were established in Pasay and Manila by Henry Hermann in June 1922. Both of these were 50 watts. The Filipino businessmen then established their own radio stations to be used for advertising their products. In 1924, the first two call letters, “KZ”, was assigned to all radio stations in accordance with the laws of the United States of America. “KZKZ”, a 100-watt radio station, replaced the 50-watt radio stations. In 1929, KZRC, Radio Cebu, opened in Cebu. It was then closed down shortly due to problems with shortwave signals between Manila and Cebu, but was reopened after a decade and was utilized for guerilla movements.
The Commonwealth Act No. 3840, also known as the Radio Control Law was founded in 1931. This act created the Radio Control Division. It was then renamed Radio Control Office and lasted until 1972 when former president Ferdinand Marcos declared Martial Law, and when the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkasters sa Pilipinas was established as the broadcasting policing body. Since 1927, six commercial radio stations were established. These were KZEG, KZIB, KZRC, KZRF, KZRH, and KZRM.
The United States of America provided the Philippines with a shortwave relay station on December 28, 1941. Radio programs were compiled in Washington, sent out through the NBC network, relayed through KGEI in San Francisco, California, and beamed to five radio stations in Manila and to one station in Cebu. This radio signal relay lasted for six days until the Japanese forced interrupted. When the American troops retreated, all radio stations except KZRH were destroyed. The Japanese forces then reactivated KZRM and KZRF, thus, having...