A trip to the ocean can be a relaxing escape from the everyday pressures of life. A sailboat glistening on the horizon provides a mental escape to faraway places. The rhythm of the ocean beating against the sand is sedating music to a troubled mind. A slow, gentle breeze can relax your tensions. You should always be careful to avoid overexposure to the sun at the beach.
1. Type the sentences that answer the following questions:
a. What sentence is the topic sentence of the paragraph?
The topic sentence of the paragraph Is, a trip to the ocean can be a relaxing escape from everyday pressures of life.
b. What sentence is unrelated to the topic and can be eliminated? The sentence that is unrelated to the topic is, you should always be careful to avoid overexposure to the sun at the beach.
2. List four things to look for when you’re proofreading. Four things you should look for while proofreading are, grammar, spelling, correct punctuation, and proper capitalization.
3. Complete the following two steps:
a. Define the term cliché.
The term cliché is a word, phrase, or idea that is over used.
b. Write one sentence that contains a cliché.
The mother said to the daughter angrily, “you’ll never get through school unless you get your act together.”
Get your act together is the cliché.
4. Name and explain two types of prewriting.
Brainstorming, make a list of every idea that comes to mind. Free writing, you fill a piece of paper with any idea that comes to mind about your topic.
5. Choose one of the topics listed below and write a five-sentence paragraph using chronological order To arrange the details of the paragraph.
a. Signing on to my homepage is simple.
Signing on to my home page is simple. First, what I do when I turn on my computer, is click on the internet. Second, I go to the favorites tab and click High School Courses. This automatically pulls up the homepage. Then I go to the top left and...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document