1. Where and when is the opening scene of the play set?
SALEM, 1692, IN THE UPSTAIRS BEDROOM OF SAMUEL PARRIS’S HOUSE
2. Why is Reverend Samuel Parris so distraught at the beginning of Act I?
HIS DAUGHTER, BETTY, IS LYING IN BED UNRESPONSIVE
What unnerves him about the report Susanna Walcott brings from Doctor Griggs?
DOCTOR GRIGGS CLAIMS THAT THERE IS NO NATURAL CAUSE FOR THE GIRLS
Why has Parris sent for Reverend Hale from Beverly?
TO DISCOVER IF THERE IS WITHCRAFT IN SALEM
3. What do we learn in the exposition of the play about the events in the forest?
THE FOREST IS SYNONYMOUS WITH THE UNKNOWN, EVIL THINGS HAPPEN IN THE FOREST, AND THE DEVIL DOES HIS WORK IN THE FOREST
4. About Abigail Williams’s past connections with the Proctor family?
SHE HAS BEEN THROWN OUT OF THEIR HOUSE AND REMOVED FROM THEIR SERVICE
5. What information about Thomas Putnam does Arthur Miller tell us in his expository aside?
HE IS VINDICTIVE, WEALTY, AND THINKS THAT THE VILLAGE SHOULD LOOK AT HIM WITH MORE PRIDE
What does Ann Putnam claim in the play about her dead babies?
THAT THEY WERE MURDERED
6. Before the arrival of John Hale, what are some of the subjects for petty disagreement among John Proctor, Giles Corey, Thomas Putnam, and Samuel Parris?
LAW, LAND, AUTHORITY
7. According to the stage directions, how does John Hale enter for the first time?
WEIGHTED WITH HEAVY BOOKS
8. What happens when John Hale interrogates Tituba?
SHE BREAKS DOWN AND CONFESSES TO BEING A WITCH, EVEN AFTER SHE DENIES SHE PRACTICES WITCHCRAFT
How does the atmosphere of the scene become hysterical at the end of the act?
THE GIRLS BEGIN ACCUSING EVERYONE OF WITCHCRAFT
1. What duty has Mary Warren been performing in Salem?
SHE IS... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 12). Hey You Should Have Read This Cause It Helpful. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 12, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hey-You-Should-Have-Read-This-525774.html
"Hey You Should Have Read This Cause It Helpful" StudyMode.com. 12 2010. 12 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hey-You-Should-Have-Read-This-525774.html>.
"Hey You Should Have Read This Cause It Helpful." StudyMode.com. 12, 2010. Accessed 12, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hey-You-Should-Have-Read-This-525774.html.