Suppose you have the following data for a Deskjet assembly line, which has a project life of 2 years:
• Max capacity per line is 150,000 printers per year
• Fixed costs per line are $30M (after depreciation, taxes, etc.)
• Variable costs are $200 per printer
1) Graph the total costs as a function of sales for 0-200K units per year.
Note that the costs on the y-axis are costs over the entire project life of two years. They are not annual costs.
2) Suppose that HP wants to make a profit of $100 per printer at a target volume of 200K printers/year. Superimpose the total revenue curve on top of the total cost curve in (1).
Assume 2 lines for calculating price, then let TV = target unit volume = 200K units/yr * 2 years = 400K units.
TC/unit@TV = VC/unit + FC / TV = $200/unit + $60M/400K units = $350/unit
Price = TC/unit@TV + $100/unit = $450 per unit.
3) What is the resulting price at the target volume? (Assume 2 lines for this and all remaining questions.)
4) What is the breakeven volume at this price? What is the beakeven utilization?
Let BV = breakeven volume, BU = Breakeven Utilization
TR=TC implies BV*Price = BV*VC/unit + FC or BV = FC/(Price-VC/unit)
BV = $60M/($450/unit-$200/unit) = 240,000 units or 120,000 units per year.
BU = BV/Capacity = (120K units/year)/(300,000 units/year) = 40%
5) What is the operating leverage and contribution margin at 200,000 units per year?
CMR= (Price – VC/unit)/Price = ($450/unit - $200/unit)/($450/unit) = 55.6%
OL = (Price – VC/unit)/Unit Profit = ($450/unit - $200/unit)/($100/unit) = 2.5
6) What is the ROI at the target volume, assuming 10% of the fixed costs will be recovered at the end of 2 years?
ROI = OL * Price * Unit Sales – FC + SV = 55.6%*($450/unit)*(400K units) - $60M + $6M
FC * Project Years $60M * 2 years... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 02). Hewlett-Packard's. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hewlett-Packard-s-569510.html
"Hewlett-Packard's" StudyMode.com. 02 2011. 02 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hewlett-Packard-s-569510.html>.
"Hewlett-Packard's." StudyMode.com. 02, 2011. Accessed 02, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hewlett-Packard-s-569510.html.