1. Objective: Demonstrate knowledge of diverse cultures, including global and historical perspectives.
2. Vespasian was the one who built the Colosseum
3. The Colosseum was created in order to entertain huge crowds with gladiator combat which by was reflected and reinforced by a larger roman drama of warfare and conquest of life and death.
4. Slaves and workers helped built the Colosseum and it took 10 years to build.
5. Some competitive events performed in the Colosseum were gladiatorial games, and an inaugural blood fest.
6. The interior of the Colosseum had underground staging devices, elevators, trap doors, and had decorated colons laid out by rules of traditional design. 50,000 to 80,000 spectators would fit in the stadium. The first 3 levels would be people sitting down and the last one which was the top would have people standing up. The poor people sat at the very top while the rich and important would sit closest.
7. The arena was beautiful, it was huge, made out of stones and lime it was 160 ft. high, 617 ft. long, and 512 ft. wide. It had a retractable roof, elevators, trap doors, and it was 4 levels high. The hypogeum it had was system of passage ways, multiple stairways, and concentrated walls creating lanes of traffic on all 4 levels.
8. The exterior of the Colosseum had 80 entrances but is collapsed now due to earthquakes; iron has been removed so only gravity and design holds it up.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document