1. | Introduction | p 2 |
2. | How business schools advertise their courses to students and therefore who they attract and what business schools trying to transform their students into. | p 4 |
3. | How business schools have contributed to the GFC. | p 6 |
4. | How critical management studies (CMS) could transform management studies. | p 7 |
5. | Gap between theory and practical application. | p 8 |
6. | How a holistic approach is the only way forward Practical relevance | p 10 |
7. | Conclusion | p 11 |
8. | References | p 13 |
Have Business Schools Failed Society? How and Why?
Have business schools failed society?
Business schools have in recent years been under much scrutiny. Journal articles like: ‘Do business schools have a role in the current financial crisis?’ by Gempshaw, C. (2009), ‘Does GFC spell MBA’ by Burgan, B. (2010) and ‘MBA: Mostly bloody awful’ by Crittenden, S. (2009) dissect the topic and agree in their conclusions that business schools are to be blamed for a large part of the recent global financial dilemma.
The following essay revolves around the need of change in business education. Without change next generations may not be equipped for the challenges our society will have to face in the future. Those challenges are protection of the environment, sustainability of resources, elimination of poverty, and growth. These are not just obstacles that need to be overcome, but also opportunities for businesses and entrepreneurs and require a holistic understanding of the complex global economy (Poltunik, L., 2010).
The three main objectives of this essay are to investigate whether and if yes why business schools:
* Mostly attract students that want to maximize their personal wealth and display a high degree of narcissism and selfishness.
* Have developed a higher interest in Critical Management Studies (CMS) and ethics education and put an emphasis on a shift of values... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 09). Have Business Schools Failed Society?. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Have-Business-Schools-Failed-Society-784625.html
"Have Business Schools Failed Society?" StudyMode.com. 09 2011. 09 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Have-Business-Schools-Failed-Society-784625.html>.
"Have Business Schools Failed Society?." StudyMode.com. 09, 2011. Accessed 09, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Have-Business-Schools-Failed-Society-784625.html.