Crimes committed against any person are unwarranted. When the crimes are backed by racially motivated intentions, the crimes are classified as heinous and violent against the person. Hate crime laws usually have a stiffer punishment than ordinary criminal laws. The Jasper, Texas, case was a prime example of a hate crime as the evidence that was uncovered proved. There are certain things a person needs to know to fully understand what made the Jasper, Texas, case a hate crime. What is the significant difference between a regular crime and one that is classified as a hate crime? Were there any motivating factors that led up to the crime and what was the result?
What is a crime? Webster's online dictionary defines a crime as "an act or the commission of an act that is forbidden or the omission of a duty that is commanded by a public law and that makes the offender liable to punishment by that law" (Merrian np). In other words, if there is a law against something and the law is violated, there is a crime. Now for a crime to be defined as a hate crime, there are a few more elements that have to be fulfilled. Webster's online dictionary defines a hate crime as "any of various crimes (as assault or defacement of property) when motivated by hostility to the victim as a member of a group (as one based on color, creed, gender, or sexual orientation)" (Merrian np).
The main point behind a hate crime is that it has to be connected to some type of prejudice or racism. In 1996, the FBI reported that 30% of the hate crimes reported were crimes against property. These types of crimes involved robbing, vandalizing, destroying, stealing, or setting fire to vehicles, homes, stores, or places of worship. The other 70% involved an attack against a person. These offenses can range from simple assault (i.e., no weapon is involved) to aggravated assault, rape, and murder (American np). The public often... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2007, 01). Hate Crimes. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 01, 2007, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hate-Crimes-104037.html
"Hate Crimes" StudyMode.com. 01 2007. 01 2007 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hate-Crimes-104037.html>.
"Hate Crimes." StudyMode.com. 01, 2007. Accessed 01, 2007. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hate-Crimes-104037.html.