1.Where is the celebration of Halloween thought to have come from?
2. The Celts occupied an area of land covering three modern day countries. Name all three.
The United Kingdom, Ireland and Northern France.
3. Why did the Celts celebrate ‘ samhain ‘ on the night of 31st October?
Celts believed that on the night before the New Year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred and the ghosts of the dead would return.
4. What did the Celts believe the ghosts of the dead would cause damage and trouble to?
5. To commemorate the event, what did the Druids build?
6. What costumes did they wear?
Costumes with animal heads and skins.
7. What did they re-light to help protect them from the coming winter?
They re-lit their hearth fires.
8. By 43 AD, who had conquered the Celts?
9.What two other festivals where combined with ‘ Samhain ‘?
Feralia and a day to honor Pomona
10. After many changes due to the spread of Christianity, what new celebration was created in 1000 AD?
All Souls’ Day
11. What were the similarities between this day and ‘ Samhain ‘ ?
Bonfires, parades and dressing up in saints, angels and devils costumes.
12. What was another name given to this celebration?
All hallows or All-hallowmas.
13. What was the night before called and what did this finally become?
All-hallows eve and it became Halloween.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document