Topics: Haiti, Caribbean, Hispaniola Pages: 1 (394 words) Published: December 9, 2012
Welcome to “mountainous country”. You may be more familiar with the terminology “Haiti”, which is consequent with the language from the Taino Indians. In 2000 it was recorded that 95% of the population was African background, and the remaining 5 percent mulattos (person with one black and one white parent) and whites. The well-off citizens consider themselves as French, but the majority classify their selves as Haitian. Haiti is located in the western subtropical area, and the second largest island in the Caribbean. Being neighbors to Cuba, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico, they all share the similar mild climate. Although the weather is nice Haiti occasional encounters devastating earthquakes. The island is also located within the Caribbean hurricane belt. In the countryside area the structure of Haitian homes are single stories, two-room shacks, usually with a front porch without electricity or running water. These homes are assembled with rock or wattle and blotch with mud. In other regions walls are made from chop native palm. Particularly in the south, houses are made of Hispaniola pine and local hardwoods. Haiti is hard living and the poverty is harsher than most cultures. Unfortunately Haiti is the poorest country not only the Western Hemisphere but also in the world. Men control the workforce. Women are responsible for cooking, housecleaning, and washing clothes by hand. In addition, the women and children are responsible for securing water and firewood. Women do have the opportunity to make a small earning by health care. Nursing is the one occupation exclusively made for the females. Rice and beans are considered the national dish. Other traditional foods include: sugarcane, mangoes, sweet bread, sweet potatoes, bread, coffee, fish, goat and beef, to name a few. Haitians only generally eat two meals a day. However, festive occasions such as weddings included mandatory Haitian colas, cake, spiced rum and a thick drink made with condensed milk called kremass....
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Haiti Revolution Essay
  • Haiti Earthquake Essay
  • Poverty Profile: Haiti Essay
  • The Relationship Between Haiti And The U Essay
  • Compare And Contrast Haiti And Suriname Essay
  • Speech: History of Haiti Essay
  • Essay on Haiti and It's Culture
  • Development of Haiti 2010 Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free