Gun Control

Topics: Firearm, Gun politics in the United States, United States Constitution Pages: 6 (1909 words) Published: May 1, 2013
Victoria Kyllo
Patrick Chambers
English 101
9 April 2013
Position Paper
Does the United States need more stringent gun control? This is a question that has been sparking nationwide in America. Gun control is simply defined as a regulation of selling, owning, and use of guns. This debate has many arguments saying that the U.S should have stricter gun laws to prevent fewer crimes or some even say to abolish the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution and others argue that the U.S does not need any more laws to strict guns away from U.S citizens (Sowell). People for more gun control laws feel that the government needs to take action by doing better background checks, ban weapons such as assault rifles, handguns, and high-capacity ammunition. People against gun control laws perceive that these laws are unconstitutional because they violate the Second Amendment (Borade). The U.S. does not need any more stringent gun control laws because crime is always going to happen no matter what, in the past the government has put restrictions on firearms but there are still gun crimes being committed.

So why do people own guns? Statistics show that there are roughly 307 million people in the United States and around 300 million firearms are owned by U.S civilians (Agresti and Smith). Based on surveys, gun owners were asked why they own guns. 67% stated that they own guns for protection against crime, the other 33% said no for protection against crime, 66% said target shooting, the other 34% said no for target shooting and 58% said hunting, the other 42% said no to hunting (Agresti and Smith). These being the main reasons why people own guns, why should there be stricter gun control laws? Even so, why do some people say that the U.S. Government needs to abolish the Second Amendment? The Second Amendment clearly states “A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed” (GunCite). The clear purpose of the Second Amendment is to preserve and guarantee and have the ability to protect ourselves against all enemies foreign and domestic (GunCite). Also, society will not become safer by restricting gun ownership as “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” (Borade). Guns are not the only reason why people die or get injured, it can be caused by the use of a knife, car accident, or even overdosing on drugs. According to the National Rifle Association “there is no empirical, statistical, any type of evidence whatsoever that can be proved (National Rifle Association). Nobody can predict the future of what will happen to people whether it’s a homicide, rape, car accident, or drugs.

Many people believe that with stricter gun laws there will be fewer crimes (McDonough). They think that a gun is a lethal weapon and its only function is to kill (Samakow). After many cases including the Aurora, Colorado movie theater and the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting many people were protesting about stricter gun laws such as increased background checks, and banning semi-automatic weapons and handguns (Debate). Others also believe that semi-automatic weapons are intended for military use only and have no business in the hands of civilians for either self-protection or sport and would imply that if the Second Amendment of the U.S Constitution is repealed then there will be the non-existent ability to acquire a gun then there will be less direct and indirect violence (Winkler).

First of all, a firearm is a lethal weapon but it’s not only a function of just to kill. Guns are only deadly if used for its intended purpose. President Obama made it clear that he does not want to repeal the Second Amendment but wants to ban assault weapons, handguns, high-capacity ammunition, and increased background check protocols (Debate). President Obama does have a point, why does an average U.S citizen need an assault weapon with high-capacity ammunition, what would...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Gun control Essay
  • Gun Control Essay
  • Gun Control Notes Essay
  • Gun Control Research Essay
  • Essay on Gun Control in America
  • Gun Control Essay
  • Gun Control Essay
  • Essay about Gun Control

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free