I – Background of the Study
In the Philippines, several cases of carnapping incidence is broadcasted all over the country. This year the rate of stolen vehicle is 36%.
Chief Supt. Leonardo Espina, director of the Highway Patrol Group (HPG), said that the top five notorious carnapping syndicates – Dominguez Brothers, Madrigal group, Onad group, the Bundol Gang, and the WarayWaray gang - were already busted that is why the carnapping rate has decreased for 56 percent from January to March this year, compared to the same period last year.
However, according to the old member of the Dominguez Brothers, the group is still active. So the risk of being carnapped still remains.
Although vehicle manufacturer has installed a security system on their products, particularly an alarmed based system, this system still doesn’t solve the problem on carnapping because most of the vehicles carnapped are parked on an isolated place. So when the car alarmed, nobody will notice it.
This lacking is the reason why we come up on the idea on designing and developing a GSM Based Vehicle Immobilizing System.
1. http://highwaypatrolgroup.com/resources/08%20Comprehensive%20Report%20Carnapping%20January%20to%20April%202011%20short%20ver2.pdf II – Statement of the Problem:
Based on the information that we gather, we have identified the following problems: 1. An alarm based system, being typically used is often ignored by people. 2. It only takes a few minutes to deactivate an alarm based system.
III– Significance of the Study
* To improve the security of vehicles.
* To secure the vehicle from the theft.
* To lessen car napping.
* To help retrieve the car if it is carnapped.
IV – Scope and Delimitation
The proposed “GSM based Vehicle Immobilizing System” delimits its function on the following: * The owner of the car can immobilize the vehicle by sending a message or calling. * The immobilizing process can be done anytime even if the car is moving, in any part of the Philippines territory as long as it receives SMS/phone call. * Any telecommunication company can provide media support to our system, but our system will use Globe network. * The SIM number will have a specialized 5 digit number.
* It is not responsible for catching the thief.
* The system is not responsible for delayed messages.
* The system is not responsible incase of losing the SIM card, however the user can acquire a new SIM card on the service provider but will have to pay the application cost. * The user should make sure that he isolates the number to avoid wrong interruptions. * If the signal is weak immobilizing interruption might occur which is beyond the controlling capability of the system. * The unit will not work if installed in conjunction with some other form of security system already present in the vehicle. * The device can be used on motorcycles and cars ONLY.
* Our system is upgradable for further development.
Anything that is not in the document is beyond our scope.
V – Assumption of the study
At the end of the research, we anticipate that the “GSM based Vehicle Immobilizing System” will be able to do the following: * If the car was stolen, the owner can control it by sending a message to the car or calling it. * When the message was sent or the call is made, the car will automatically stop. * If the owner wishes to mobilize the car, he’ll send another message or make another call to the device.
VI – Definition of Terms
GSM Modem (Global System for Mobile Communications) -is a specialized type of modem which accepts a SIM card, and operates over a subscription to a mobile operator, just like a mobile phone. From the mobile operator perspective, a GSM modem looks just like a mobile phone. car alarm - is an electronic device installed in a vehicle in an attempt to discourage theft of the vehicle itself, its contents, or both. Short Message Service...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document